The Managing Grievances Workshop enables manages to:
- Identify what a grievance is and what it is not
- Understand the various grievance resolution options
- Know when and how to apply informal and formal resolution processes
The focus is on:
- how to effectively manage grievances at the lowest level possible to avoid the many individual and organisational costs involved in formal grievance procedures,
- the alternative dispute resolution options that can lead to successful grievance management and prevent escalation of the issues,
- the steps that need to be taken when conducting a formal grievance process.
Grievances can range from low level issues to disciplinary matters and can include:
– interpersonal conflict,
– the way work is allocated,
– a perceived unfairness in the workplace,
– bullying and harassment.
These issues will impact each individual differently and what may be considered “low level” to a manager, may be extremely important to the person concerned. Grievance management is a complex area and a key management capability needed by managers, many of whom spend much of their work days ineffectively dealing with staff grievances.